Batman Returns is episode 201 focusing on the movie of the same name, as part of the Podward Scissorcast miniseries covering the films of Tim Burton. Posted January 27, 2019.
Emily Yoshida (Night Call podcast) is back to discuss 1992's demented superhero sequel, Batman Returns. But was this the first movie to notice Christopher Walken talks kind of funny? Is The Penguin's black mouth ooze attractive? Who are your favorite cloud villains? Together they examine the iconic performances from Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer, Batman as the love interest, parental backlash, and chubby digits.
Check out Emily Yoshida's recent articles for Vulture.
After directing one of the biggest movies ever in Batman and making another financially successful film firmly in his own style in Edward Scissorhands, Warner Brothers let Burton go buckwild with well over double the budget of the first Bartman picture. And parents weren't too happy about it.
Milestones and Ephemera
- Griffin, David, and Emily love the wackiness of the movie, The Hoz doesn't quite get on their wavelength
- A near record amount of mic peaking from Danny Devito Penguin impressions
- Merchandise Spotlight: There was a Robin action figure released for Batman Returns, based on the likeness of the Marlon Wayans but skin painted white because he was paid a large amount of money to not by in the movie. (Guess they didn't want Robin doing a jazz set).
"Humblebrag"bit is officially retired at the request of the Mother of Blankies.
- Brooklinen - Griffin loves Brooklinen products, but he would really like if they would be so kind to send him a free bath mat because he bought the wrong size
- Joybird - NBA Legend Larry Bird comes into the studio to give a "very enthusiastic" pitch for being a spokesperson for Joybird furniture.
- Stamps.com - Griffin has a new year's resolution to never leave his apartment, but he can use Stamps.com to send a CD-R of his podcast audio to the Audioboom studios so that Ben can mix it in. Turns out Griffin can't leave because he owes a lot to the garlic boys.
Kiss from a Rose
Kiss from a Rose is bonus audio from the Batman Returns episode and episode 4 of Blank Check: Special Features. Posted January 27, 2019.
At the end of the Bartman Returns episode it was revealed that Producer Ben had texted Griffin during the recording. The message was to sign off the episode by singing Seal's "Kiss from a Rose". Ben believed that this was the wildly popular single from this movie. It is actually from Batman Forever. Either way they still sing along to a karaoke version and here is that b-b-b-bonus audio checkmates!