Fan Fiction is episode 9 and the ninth part of the The Phantom Podcast miniseries. Posted 19 May 2015.
[Warning: This episode includes sexually explicit content]
It’s week nine into the investigation and the mystery of this case still was not quite coming together. Sooo, Griffin and David decided to dig deep and explore the strange world of Phantom Menace fan fiction, hoping to find answers within what fans wanted the stories to be. What did they discover?
Perhaps these fun fan-generated fictional stories will help them better understand the relationship between, let's say, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn? Story selections include “Cards on the Table” by Emilia-Wan Kenobi, “Glory Glory Hallelujah ” by Dr. Gonzo, and other entries. The stories can be found online.
Also, Griffin checks in with a merchandise spotlight, finding a hologram Darth Sidious action figure at CVS.
The background music is what puts this episode over the top. I mean, honestly: the genius of Producer Ben at work. Music Selections from Time-Lapse Volume 3 ASMR, “Gentle Whispering” and “Happy Little Clouds” by Lee Rosevere.
This set the record for the shortest studio-recorded episode of the show ever, clocking in at just under 59 minutes. It has been surpassed since, though only by midweek bonus minisodes.
(Music selections licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0)
Milestones and Ephemera
- Things Qui-Gon Jinn's brain does in the story "Glory Glory Hole-elujah": Wince, snicker
- seeing Paddington in the theater on valium: causes hallucinations and nonsensical screenplay ideas
- grade-school Griffin's fanfic sequel to Space Jam: Soccer Jam
- Ben likes a good tall ice coffee. But not raw snow peas, though snap peas are on the borderline.
- David: "Griffin, you're a professional actor. That's really impressive!"
- Griffin's preferred role in The Phantom Menace: Captain Panaka
- Merchandise Spotlight!
- DAVID: (laughing) We will not release this episode.
- GRIFFIN: Oh, you don't think this is gonna get on Podmass?
- DAVID: I don't know who writes Podmass anymore.
- GRIFFIN: You still have an 'in,' though, right?
- PRODUCER BEN: We should leave that part in, too, where we talk about Podmass.
- DAVID: Oh, yeah, we're gonna leave everything in. And then not release this episode.