It's the very first Ben's Choice!
In this special episode, guest host Producer Ben has been given his own “Blank Check” for selecting a one-off film to review... and he’s cashing it in with 1985’s cult comedy Fletch.
Is this one of Chevy Chase’s strongest performances? What happened to actress Dana Wheeler-Nicholson? Out of all the movies ever made Ben picked Fletch - but why?
Together, Ben and #TheTwoFriends discuss Chevy Chase’s tumultuous reputation and career, nostalgia for these types of comedies and character actors, Geena Davis’ impressive run of films in the late eighties to mid-nineties, and hating phonies. Plus, an extraordinarily in-depth Hollywood History of the mythical and elusive Fletch reboot.
And, as always... I gotta take off work today, I got the bone cancer.
Milestones and Ephemera
- Ben on Fletch Lives: "Oh, it's... awful." On Cops and Robbersons: "Love that one!"
- Best-suited to star in a Fletch reboot: Dave Chappelle, Ellen DeGeneres, Jason Sudeikis, Ben Hosley
- David's Choice: could be Clear and Present Danger, a VHS special
- Griffin's Choice: could be Harlan Williams' Rocket Man (aww, a bonding thing with his mom and family)
- Being in a bad place: Drinking 48 cans of Tecate alone, 5 days without leaving the apartment, watching Fletch for the first time on the TV. Grim.
- Ben's Dad's comedy recommendations: Where's Poppa, and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- The Untouchables billing order and credits: insane. INSANE.
- Griffin and David on prospective future miniseries: "Someday we'll do Peter Weir." "We should do Danny DeVito sometime." "I really wanna do Martin Brest."
- Ben's Obselete Technology corner: card catalogs, MS-DOS computer terminals, microfiche